Tuesday 13 December 2011

A Dutch Beauty Framed and Hung

A Dutch Beauty - Permin

I am so pleased with A Dutch Beauty. I have hung it in my hall and am happy with the position. It works well with the proportion of the room.The colour of the oak floor and the Farrow and Ball eau-de-nil walls bring out the colours of the sampler. 




When I sent my sister a picture of the sampler amazingly she sent me back this photograph.


Cloville Hall


This is very similiar to the Pelican and her toddlers (yes ! that's what baby pelicans are called) in A Dutch Beauty. I thought it was a swan until I read the historical notes that accompanied the Permin chart.


A Dutch Beauty - Permin

My sister lives in Clovile Hall in Essex. Clovile was built in the 16th century. Here is a photograph of the mural painted on the walls in 1615 in which the pelican and her toddlers appear.

Clovile Hall

 This mural would make a superb sampler.


Clovile Hall
 As would this one


Cloville Hall

The weather has been awful throughout the night. The forecast storm arrived and it was a bad one. We kept on losing our power throughout the night and this morning due to the gale force winds damaging the power cables.

The garden has taken a battering.


Gardens at Trewoon Poldhu Cove
http://www.seasidecottagescornwall.co.uk/
Apparently were are going to have an even worse storm on Thursday !!

I took this photograph as soon as the rain stopped this morning just before I started to write today's blog.

Trewoon Poldhu Cove
http://www.seasidecottagescornwall.co.uk/

You can see that another weather front is coming in from the Atlantic. As I finish writing the storm has reached the shore and massive hailstones are hammering down. I am so glad that we are indoors with the fire lit.

I shall just have to spend the afternoon working on And They Sinned.

Warm Wishes from Stitching By A Cornish Sea Shore - Nicola xxx